Skip to main content

How Can We Lessen Their Suffering?





One thing that attracted me to my husband when I first met him was his compassion for the downtrodden.  It seemed out of the ordinary that a 20 year old serving in the U.S. Navy would notice poverty’s pain.  I was also attracted to his creative photography.  His slide show presentations would wow me with scenic shots of far-away countries interspersed with family shacks in the slums.  It left me a little heartbroken.   I married him and his burden for the suffering and our newlywed budget included sponsoring a child in a third world country.

When our kids were little, we gave our hearts to Jesus.  I remember asking God how we can live our lives for Him and serve in His kingdom as a family.  I was surprised back then the way that prayer manifested.  It linked to compassion; our family would learn how to be compassionate.  A young, adult woman landed a job in our little town but she was homeless.  We opened up our hearts and home to this gal and many others in the years to follow.  It changed us!

·        We had to share our space
·        Our food had to stretch farther
·        Privacy was rare and valued
·        Problem solving was a constant learning curve

Our experiences gave us eyes to see beyond ourselves.  Selfishness was addressed in us and it felt like it was beaten out of us at times.  Our girls grew to be responsible, caring teenagers.  When life was hard and not so joyful, we got a good taste of God’s grace.  Both of our girls traveled with our church on mission trips and came back with wisdom you just can’t learn in books. 

Who knew that compassion would weave its thread throughout our family over the years?   It's the way God chose to use our family.  I’m relieved that an outstanding resume isn’t required for God’s kingdom work.  Ordinary people with simple lifestyles and even hang ups qualify.  It’s an upside down kingdom built on better principles.  It’s in the giving, not the getting…and yet the getting back seems so much more than the giving.  Does that make sense?  Upside down, I know!





This post links to Hazel’s collection of true short stories at Tell Me a Story.

Comments

  1. Oh Mary! This is just a wonderful story! And of course it's not a 'story', it's the truth. What a true sou-mate you have in your husband. How could you do this important work for the Lord unless you both agreed to do it?

    I am so impressed and inspired by your efforts. I'm sure you think it's not much, but it IS. You were called, and you answered that call.
    Thank you for sharing with all of us!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring post....you followed Gods plan for you and your family and I am so happy you are sharing it....it is a wonderful testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes perfect sense to me! "Who is first will be last and who is last will be first." It's always the opposite of what the world perceives it. Power from our Father is found in us when we find our humility.

    Great post and heart for a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    What a wonderful story, and it illustrates such a foundational truth.
    I'm going back to re-read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing, your hubby! ... and such a great example the two of you set for your daughters. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May you be truly blessed, as you bless others. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God recently "thunked" me on the side of the head about some complaining I was doing. And, He showed me in the middle of an aisle in the market just how fortunate I am.

    We are blessed to be blessings.

    Wonderful testimony about your family. Jesus said, "It is better to give than receive." You guys are living that out!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your story how you have given and even opened up your home to someone in need of temporary housing. We brought Nancy into our home for 5 years and it made the difference in her spiritual walk with God.
    Thank you for your entry at “Tell Me a Story.” I have been off line due to computer failure and virus problems, but my husband gave me a different computer so I am back on line – just lost a bunch of stuff including my e-mail addresses..
    Please return Monday around 5:00PM PST when the new week will be open for your story at: http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke